Monday, July 7, 2008

Introduction or lack there of

This is my first blog. Anybody that reads this likely needs no introduction because you are among an initial short few whom I opted to alert to it's very existence. I guess it's possible that even I could grow a readership that expands beyond my immediate circle of friends, but that kind of development is unexpected and would likely take the amount of time and posts that would render this first entry obsolete, so why worry about a full-fledged documentation of my life, likes, dislikes, health report, etc.?

What you can expect are a lot of thoughts on sports, mostly local (but certainly not exclusively), and regrettably for you the reader, my thoughts on just about anything else that somehow has the unique qualities enough to generate the often misguided assessment of yours truly. I like the idea of blog, have for some time now. The bottom line is that sometimes the worst part of maintaining relations with others is having to actually listen to everything they have to say. Some people have the unique ability to almost always be interesting, or funny, but not everyone and not anyone from the perspective of everyone. Through this venue, paying attention is optional. A choice is made. I like that.

Anyway, not much to say for my first post, just wanted to get it started. I did watch a perfect game through 7 tonight, which was fun while it lasted. Hiroki Kuroda was on the mound for the Dodgers and managed to turn away 21 batters before Mark Teixiera broke him up in the 8th. But more important to me wasn't who was pitching or who got the first hit, but rather, that Vin Scully was calling the game. Now, I'm well aware that the baseball package on cable is not exactly a majority purchase. That said, it's unfortunate that not everyone can enjoy his broadcasts because the man makes my favorite game even better and that's hard to do (Of course I feel the same about Matthews and Lefebvre). Anyway, tonight Kuroda fell just short of perfect, but Vin Scully sure didn't. It was fun to watch. Scully has a number of quotes that you can look up if you're interested, but for now I'll leave you with one that I found:

"Football is to baseball as blackjack is to bridge. One is the quick jolt. The other the deliberate, slow-paced game of skill, but never was a sport more ideally suited to television than baseball. It's all there in front of you. It's theatre, really. The star is the spotlight on the mound, the supporting cast fanned out around him, the mathematical precision of the game moving with the kind of inevitability of Greek tragedy. With the Greek chorus in the bleachers!" Source: Los Angeles Times (June 20, 1976)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

keep up the great work. i feel your pain and love of the team that we share. as of billy butler, he's like that fat chick you slept with in high school. you dont know why you did it, she wasnt hot, but the things she could do that you would never expect left memories for a life time. maybe that was a stupid analagie, but my point is give him time. i have faith that he will come around and raise all of our eyebrows one day.